View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Ron Bullard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I think I started to get tired at this point, so I quit stopping to take pictures. That and I think the 101 just got kind of boring to me. Sorry.

We soon find ourselves in Astoria, the last coastal town in Oregon on the 101.

The former jail, made famous in the 1985 movie, the Goonies…

… is right next to the Flavel house, built in 1885. Captain George Flavel was a Columbia River bar pilot and the area’s first millionaire. As I understand, this building also played a part in the Goonies movie. I’d love to see the view from the room at the very top. A beautiful house, I’m sure it’s not haunted.

There were a few other sites I wanted to see, but I was tired and was already running behind schedule – I had planned to leave by 8am, but I didn’t get out of town until late morning. I got back on the 101 and headed towards the main site I wanted to see – the Astoria Column.

Built in 1926, the 125-foot column sits on top of Coxcomb hill, which is 600 feet tall – so there’s quite a view from up top.

I wouldn’t consider myself to be afraid of heights, but the last time I was here I couldn’t quite convince myself to climb the rounded staircase all the way to the top. Inside the column it’s dark, narrow, and hell, the whole stinkin’ thing might collapse on me while I’m in there. This time, after I had ridden all of this way though – there was no way I was not going to climb it.

Right foot, left foot, right foot…

SV looks pretty small down there. Not a very big bike to begin with anyway…

A hell of a view. There’s Washington state across the river.

After I got back to the bottom, my legs ached like I’d never felt before - the stress and nerves from my little climb up and down the column had totally wrecked me. Time to get a move on, so I hit highway 26 SE towards Portland to my folk’s place.

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote