View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
jadedillusion OP
Adventure Wife

Oddometer: 119
Honeymoon on a KTM: Phoenix to Moab

Roughly one year ago, a super romantic man (sarcasm) sat a girl down on the couch and proposed. Although, the girl had to clarify if there was even a proposal or not. Shortly afterwards we debated where the honeymoon would be. Somehow the girl (well, me) was conned into a road trip on a dual sport. The original plan was Phoenix to Colorado, but there have been an abundance of reports on Moab, and the weather seemed perfect, so "we" decided Moab it would be.

First however, were the vows: May 15th....

After all that nonsense (we should've eloped, regardless of how beautiful the day was), we said goodbye to the dogs and headed out from Casa Grande this morning. Summer has crept into southern Arizona and it was felt. After sitting in traffic at a multi-car crash and then construction on I-17 I wasn't sure we'd make it. An overheating KTM 990 and two cranky passengers. I'm pretty sure the bike was lying because it felt more like 193 degrees...

We hopped off I-17 out of frustration and found a frontage road in order to cool the three of us down. From there we motored onward, northbound towards cooler temperatures. We made it up to the high planes near Prescott, AZ and the scenery improved by leaps and bounds.

Sedona from a distance..

We hit 89A and headed towards Sedona. We found a loop off of 89A through a killer neighborhood and a tiny bit of dirt. We ended up behind 3 Harley's at one point. And then the pavement ended. The promptly turned around and we continued on. Our excitement over the dirt was short lived...barely 1/4 mile of it before more pavement. Obligatory gravel pic:

We stopped in Sedona for ice cream. It was one of those days. Found a table with a view and took some time to chill out.

After ice cream we suited up and headed onward. 89A is totally worth it. I highly recommend it.

I'm pretty sure I had the better seat today, I got to check everything out and take loads of pictures while he drove.

The road had plenty of fun curves for him. See, proof from the Garmin.

Guess I should have introduced our beaut before. Our lovely KTM 990 Adventure taking a breather north of Sedona.

At this point we were 15 minutes from Flagstaff and our final destination for the night. After several tries, we found a room at the Comfort Inn. Before parking, we encountered French tourists who had rented Harley's and were taking Route 66 from Chicago to LA in two weeks. They were highly impressed with the KTM and were asking about things to see near Phoenix.

We checked in, relaxed and headed out for dinner. Mike wanted to go to the Irish Pub we passed on Route 66 earlier. The temperature was 30 degrees below what it was when we left Casa Grande this morning. We didn't mind, in the least.

Onto Collins Pub it was. Mr. Originality ordered the same fish and chips I did.

He finished before I did and played with the camera. The train station across from the Pub.

And the KTM with a longish exposure.

And moi, all ragged and tired and frumpy.

Funny enough, when we returned from dinner, there were two gentlemen in the parking lot watching us park. They turned out to be two of the three Harley riders who shied away from the small bit of dirt off of 89A. They too were highly impressed with the KTM.

Tomorrow we'll head to Page via the Grand Canyon. He's lived in AZ 7 years and hasn't seen it. I've been here 3 years and seen it twice so far, once in the snow.

jadedillusion screwed with this post 06-01-2010 at 06:37 PM
jadedillusion is offline   Reply With Quote