View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #78
Valleyrider OP
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,851
It's a '68...

Got the front tire mounted. It's an old Goodyear DT, but it will work for what I'm going to be doing with it!!

I had cut a bracket out of the frame so that the K&N filter I plan to use will have a straight shot off the carb. I needed to grind down the welds and paint the frame cause that's just the way I am...
Hopefully the last time this thing will be upside down!! Even after it's done...

Early on in this thread, you could see how rusted the mag was. I found out why and just now got around to fixin the problem. A section of the main crankcase had been knocked out, hit from the inside. So, some JB Weld will take care of the problem. Sorry, no before picture of this one...

After pricing the bearings needed to do a quality rebuild on the motor, I called Brown Bearing in Spokane and found their prices for the same Japanese made Koyo bearings that Yamaha sells to be about 1/3 the $$$... WTF?
For the same price I would have paid at a Yamaha dealer, I got all the bearings and this slick bearing and seal installer set!! Wish I had one of these years ago..!!

Life sucks without a shop!! When we moved north from McCall, the plan was to build a shop in the back of the house... Long story short, the setback on our property won't allow for a shop. The garage is overflowing and no room for the press, so it lives in the shed at the side of the garage with the lawnmower... and the studded snow tires. As you can see, nothing but the best stuff in the shed.
A Rubbermaid plastic tub for my work table and an old 7up wooden crate for my stool.

Bearings and seals are brand new and the crank and transmission are back in and ready for some Yamabond. I have to get all the fasteners together before that can happen. All the screws were rusted and butchered by the wrong or worn screwdriver being used on them. I have a can full of blackened allenhead screws that I just need to pull the right lengths from and then glue things up....
More tomorrow....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/

Valleyrider screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 09:25 PM
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote