View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #26
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
YES.

I bumped Belgum Waffles thread on the matter for all to see.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431005&highlight=standing+pegs

Here is more on Virginia.

Check Code of Virginia 46.2-909. Not knowing Virginia law or how things are looked at there, this a problematic code. I would assume that in spirit, it is meant to keep people from riding on handlebars bicycle style or just hanging off or sitting on the bike any old way. Read literally though, it says you will ride upon the seat. Get a cop who is reading it for what it says vs spirit of the law, you could get cited. But then again it all depends too what precedence has been set, if any.

46.2-909. Riding on motorcycles, generally.
Every person operating a motorcycle, as defined in 46.2-100 excluding three-wheeled vehicles, shall ride only upon the permanent seat attached to the motorcycle, and such operator shall not carry any other person. No other person shall ride on a motorcycle unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride on the permanent seat if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the seat for the operator. If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, it shall also be equipped with a footrest for the use of such passenger.
I pointed that code out to my neighbor, who assures me that case law does not support a summons for standing on the pegs, if such action is not careless or reckless in nature.

YMMV...
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote