View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #2581
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
My first flight with the new S10... Finally!

WOW. I can't write down any more. Although for some points I can agree with Spike's excellent riding report, on some other points I had other experiences.

NOTE: I don't ride any Yamaha Parallel twin but an 90 degree Honda Varadero V-twin. So my 'base of comparising' is somehow different... Which has not to be an problem though!

Yesterday I had an 320 km test-spin on the new Yamaha Super Tenere. What an INCREDIBLE good and well thought trough motorcycle it is.

Everything comes together on the new S10 (short for Super Tenere). The excellent suspension, the excellent engine mapping, the excellent combined brakes (except the rear brake!), the excellent fuel consumption (had strong side- and headwind during the entire day and after 320 km I topped the 23 L fuel tank with only 18 liters...! On a bike with (after my ride) only 550 km on the ODO!). Comfort is great - even with my 6,8 ft tall body. It is the very first big trail bike on which I can use the rear view mirrors - without looking to both my shoulders. Well done. Protection to the climate is good, although the Varadero scores higher on all-weather protection. But it's great, and much, much better than the weather protection on a R1200GSA.

The mapping is excellent and easy selected. Choose S for Sport, T for Touring. Choose S once, and you will never choose T again. Same goes for the traction control. Excellent work! I'm still puzzling why Honda abandoned the excellent ABS/TCS system of the MK1 ST1100 Pan European.

The saddle and screen are adjustable. The seating comfort over spans that of the Varadero - by far. The saddle is some how harder - no more problems with your rear parts on a long run.

The S10 puts 260 kg on the scale. I DONT BELIEVE THIS LIE! It can't be more heavier than 200 kg. It feels just so light and agile, you won't believe it. Even fully fuelled. Maneuvering is just so easy. All the weight must be down under. Which is great for dirt roads and proper off-roading, but sh* with strong head- and side wind like I had yesterday. It can’t keep in one line with strong wind, feels very nervous under these conditions. Not good. Maneuvering at low speed requires a slipping clutch to keep the engine above 2.000 RPM. Under 2.000 RPM the engine starts to play up. Nothing which can’t be fixed with a powercommander though.

Engine is great, although the R1200GSA boxer is more refined, more cultivated. In all gears I've noticed a strange vibration between 3.000 / 3.500 RPM; as if inside the engine something is running un- lubricated. The bike still runs very fluently though; it is if you ride a Vtwin instead of an parallel twin. Great engine, the 'vibration' which I encountered could well be exemplary or due to the fact that the engine is still running on the off-works motor oil (it had only 550 km on the ODO when I returned it) and still has to run in properly.

The shaft ride is excellent to. Has the S10 shaft ride? No. It must be chain/sprockets... is it? BMW R1200GSA, eat your hart out. The turning circle is that small, that you can wrap the S10 around your ankles. KTM LC8, eat your hart out.

Is there nothing wrong to find here? Well... No. Or it must be the price of € 17.000 incl the silly Dutch taxes...

The Multistrada looks cool, the R1200GSA has the marked, but the S10 will take over both.

Honda has to come with an very, very, very good answer to parade this piece of excellent engineering from Yamaha. And after riding the VFR1200, I can only say that an big trail bike with an V4 won't be it. Not even close. The fact that the introduction of Honda’s new GS beater has been postponed (again) for at least 1 to 1,5 years should tell everything…

For the Dutchies amongst the ADV riders... Get your own testride at www.gebbenmotoren.nl!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote