View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #18007
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 288
Signing In

So this is my first post to ADV. Got my first bike this year. I road a bit in Texas, but never owned my own. Now that I'm in Africa, I could not resist. Below are a few photos that tell my story so far... (thanks to smugmug hosting)

This is off loading the piki (bike in Swahili). Mine is in the box on the right.

When rolling the bike down the ramp, some how the mounting bracket for the rear break broke. That's some serious metal just to snap. So it was going to be my first time on the bike and now I had to wait for a part to come from the US. Not so pleasant :(

It's a nearly stock 2006 XR650L from Florida. When I got it I think the only non-stock item was the White Bros exhaust. I have since added the rear box (and now removed), Acerbis hand guards and you will see in a future photo the 4.7 Clarke tank.

On top of the Ngong hills just outside of Nairobi, Kenya. Shoie Hornet DS helmet, soon to be ruined.

Joe Rocket Mesh jacket. After a long day of riding with the giraffe, zebra, impala, eland and other animals. Lots of fun. Oh, of course I did not mention that I replaced that massive monstrosity on the rear of the bike with a small tail light. Still need to get the wiring right.

A few friends' bikes. A 1998 XR650L & a 2009 250 KTM (not sure of the exact model, but it is street legal).

It was after the previous photos that I laid down the bike for the first time and my first time to ever go down. A bit distracted, a bit warn out, lazy and inexperience got me down for no good reason. I bent up the gear shift really bad and just got a new IMS installed. My head hurt from a pretty good hit and my thumb is still in pain and a bit swollen (2wks later). So here is the replacement. I'm coming home for a quick visit in July and plan to send the old Hornet to Shoie for their inspection to see if it's still good.

More pics to come as the adventures come often. I'm always looking for a good reason to accessorize and upgrade. What's the next best thing to do? I don't like my aggressive tires. I'm considering the Dunlop 606 or 908. I do about 80% on-road (REALLY bad roads) and 20% true dirt/off-road. I'd also like some kind of rack that can easily hold a box and be easily removed and reattached. I've been thinking about the Billet one that seems to come off easily with just 4 allen screws. Any thoughts on that or other suggestions?

Just remembered I also installed a skit plate and I'm looking for advice on whether or not to install the Trail Tech digital dashboard (Vapor I think). I also HATE the high gear ratio. I'm thinking of changing the front to a 14 and leaving the rear stock. When I climbed the Ngong hills the high ratio was a KILLER. But I will also do some highway riding. Really need to stay in the 'happy middle ground.'

Upgrades to date:
K&N Air Filter
K&N Oil Filter (not yet installed)
Gas Filter
4.7 Clarke Tank
Skid Plate
Acerbis hand guards
White Bros Exhaust
Universal low profile tail light
IMS gear shift

Want to Upgrade (need advice):
Trail Tech Vapor