View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #236
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,915
On Saturday I went out training again, it turned out to be only a 190km round trip, but little did I know what an epic it would turn out to be.

The green is my normal route out to meet the Enduro nuts of Peru, who wisely choose to trailer their bikes to San Bartolo. I choose to ride there from my house, this added another much needed 136km to my training day, more than two thirds of it across open desert.

It was an uncharacteristicly clear winters day. If its clear in the desert, then it hot. But at 07h00 made for perfect riding weather. I had no serious mishaps albeit one or two little incidents in the dunes, both a result of stupidity.

The rest of the time was just a nice romp. You can see my destination, San Bartolo in the distance on the coast.

Every Saturday at San Bartolo is an enduro riding day for anything between 50 and 100 riders, at the top of their game in terrain desert very familair to them.

Its daunting when you ride with these guys, theyre clearly a very skilled group of riders who take no prisoners.

A group of seven of us set off in the direction of the hills.

We started with the usual fun and games of hitting the nearest steep slopes. Spot the rider & dust trail in the above pic....

The first time riding down these "hills" I thought I was going to die. But once you have a good understanding of what to do and not do with the front brake, not to mention a healthy respect for the whoops at the bottom, it can be quite a lot of fun. Of course if you get it wrong....

We followed a road which became a single track after a couple of clicks.

The single track gradually got steeper and more technical. I got caught behind another trapped rider. My bike was a little overheated, so I had a bit of a rest while others tried to sneak past me.

Walking the bike didn't help either. The only way to get up this section was to ride it up.

After about half an hour everyone was at the top of the neck, and we descend into another dry valley with a big, rocky wash in the bottom.

Then the route took us up a ridge line.

The riding started easily, but soon reduced to a series of technical steep sections that was more akin to trials riding than enduro. You can just make out a rider scrabbling up the track in the distance. Must rush off now, more soon.

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 06-01-2010 at 07:22 PM
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote