View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #1235
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Stewartstown - Monongalia Co

Located on Rt 119 northeast of Morgantown. It appears to be recently repainted.

I couldn't find much on the history of Stewartstown itself. It's more of a group of randomly scattered homes than an actual "city" with a downtown. It is situated on a ridge with an outstanding view of the Cheat Lake area.

I did find some information (posted below) about the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church.

Historical Marker located on Rt 119 at the junction with CR 65, about 3 miles south of the PA state line.

Same Marker - Side #2

View northbound on Rt 119. Stewartstown Road (CR 65) turns to the right at this intersection.

View southbound on Rt 119. Stewartstown Road (CR 65) turns to the left in this photo. The small stone monument in the next photo is barely visible here to the left of my bike, in the shade under the trees.

Closer view of the monument to the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church.

Inscription on the plaque.

For more information: (Click Here For Website)

Otis Rice and Stephen Brown wrote “On November 5, 1775, John Corbly organized a Baptist congregation in the village of Forks of Cheat near Stewartstown (sixteen miles southwest of Garards Fort in what later became Monongalia County in present-day West Virginia).” The Forks of Cheat Church, still a very vibrant Baptist Church today, was so named because of its location at the confluence of the Cheat River and the Monongahela River.
The church was constituted with these eleven members including Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists: Samuel Lewellen (chosen Elder), John McFarland (Deacon), Thomas Mills, Thomas Evans, Joseph Boltinghouse, Hannah Lewellen, Susannah McFarland, Martha Mills, Catherine Evans, Elizabeth Jackson, and William John. Its record book states “The Forks of Cheat Church is the oldest church continuously in use to this day in West Virginia west of the Allegheny Mountains. Reverend John Corbly served as the supply pastor of the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church until 1788 when another pastor was named. The first log church was at the Baptist burying-ground above Lancelot John’s on the Morgantown and Stewartstown Road.” Traditionally recounted, this first church was burned by the Indians. Its earliest record read “It was built of square loggs of 28 feet in length, 28 feet in breadth, and 12 loggs high.” The church records are complete since 1775 and are kept in a bank vault at Morgantown, West Virginia.

View eastbound on CR 65 through Stewartstown. The church is about a mile ahead.

Nice view down this family's driveway looking towards the Cheat Lake area.

Eastbound on CR 65 approaching the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church and cemetery.

Forks of Cheat Baptist Church.

OK, I usually would not show a gravestone of just anyone buried in a cemetery, but I had to give this one a double-look. I wonder if his friend Count Chocula is buried here too? (Remember those?)
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 04:27 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote