View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
2up Black Rock Desert Anniversary Ride

From Gerlach we head north and turn left onto Smoke Creek Road. Right before the one lane bridge we take a right onto an unmarked road. The road looks well traveled and before long we see a few of burros and large herd of antelope.

You can barely see these guys, and they are fast.

Along the road we see this mustang. He is all alone. No herd around.

We stop to look around, and see where we had been.

We arrive at this sign and decide to go forward toward Stone Corral in search of Shinn Ranch Road which will eventually bring us back to 395.

Some flowers nearby.

We continue along the road which has turned crappy and jaggedy rocked. The smooth BLM type road is gone. And--we eat it, pretty hard on the right side. Notice the broken case mount near my boot.

We manage to strap the case down to minimize the shake. After careful consideration of time, no map, and limited water, we decide to head back to Smoke Creek Road. The Stone Corral will have to wait until next time.

Before long we arrive at a grove of shade trees. Richard relaxes, I explore the area.

From this point we continue toward 395. Back on the road and home by 5:45pm. Sad that the trip has come to an end. Exploring the desert on the bike was awesome. The only true injury was to the bike. A broken case mount. Good thing Richard owns a welding business.

Bath time for the bike. Off with the Playa mud.

15 years ago we eloped in Tahoe. Our parents were not happy with us as I was the oldest daughter and would have had the first wedding. Richard and I had been together for 10 years before we were married and did our own thing even as teenagers. So this weekend was a great way to celebrate our adventuresome spirits.

Thanks for coming along on our 1st ride report. Until our next ride...
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote