View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
My 0.02 is that radios are an un-necessary expence that unless you are in the top three aren't going to gain you more than a few seconds at each pit, at best. Added weight and complexity of using radios creates more distraction than positive effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
I agree, save your money. Radios are great when you go play riding and everyone has one. But in a race they are more troublesome than they are worth.
Beat me to it....

In V2R you may come into a pit located on the other end of a valley so maybe they'd get a couple minute warning you're coming in. Most of the pits I bet they'd only hear you about the time they see you.
And do you know exactly where the pits are? Do you know that cluster of things in the distance is the pit or is it an old ranch or highway crossing? Don't plan on talking at your support truck, aint gonna happen.
IMO only if you're really dicing for position and you happen to have an issue (like a flat) will a radio be helpful so your crew has 30 seconds to be ready with bike stand, wheel, and tools which will possibly save you a lead (and your crew needs to be able to swap a wheel & air filter in -45 seconds too).

bajaboundmoto screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 10:19 AM
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote