View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196
Day 3

Day 3: ate w:st="on" Year="2010" Day="30" Month="5">May 30th, 2010ate>

We crawl out of the tents about 7 AM and start packing. It takes us about an hour to pack everything.
[

Then we leave Nick-A-Jack and hit the road in search of some breakfast.

We came across a Waffle House not far from where we camped. We got our fill of food and didnít waste any time getting back on the road. We had a lot of ground to cover today. We ride the slab northeast to Cleveland, TN and actually dropped down into the state of Georgia momentarily and then turned east on Hwy. 64.

We make good time until we catch up with some slow traffic due to a bus with several rafts stacked on top of it. I was curious where he was going with all of those rafts.

It wasnít long before we found out where all the rafts were going.

The Ocoee River. All I can say is TVA new what they were doing. The engineering involved with the entire TVA water way system is impressive. I didnít realize that the Ocoee River was the white water venue for the 1996 Olympics until I started researching. If you want to learn more go to www.tva.gov.

We travel further up the Ocoee to find yet another dam.

And more folks having a great time on the river.

We continue on eastward on 64 until we get to Ducktown, TN. Then we turn north on Hwy. 68 and head for Tellico Plains, NC. Just as we were rolling into Tellico Plains it started to rain. So we made a dash for a service station for cover. There were a few other motorcycle riders that had the same idea and joined us.

We decided to get gas while we were there so we wouldnít be accused of loitering.

It wasnít long until the rain let up and we started riding around looking for a place to stay the night. We wanted to find someplace with a roof over our heads because the weather indicated a high chance of rain most of the night. And as luck would have it we ended up at a pretty cool place for the night. Cherohala Motorcycle Resort. Lucky for us the owner, Buck, had only one cabin available for us and lucky for us again it had two beds. If youíre in the area and looking for a place to stay around here I highly recommend this place. Itís located in a central area of some great motorcycle riding.