View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
When I was riding in the deserts of southern California in the 70's and 80's not one of those bikes were built as good as an XR650L, or DRZ. Now there are so many bikes that are somewhat better that the XR650L is left behind, but it is still one of the better bikes in that class. A friend has a KLR and my wife rides a DR650. In my opinion the XRL is far better than either of these off road and equal to these for one day trips. The KLR being better for longer trips. If I had to buy one of these three it would be the XR650L. The BMW 650 is better on road than the KLR and my KTM 640 Dualsport is better offroad, but you can't say it is far better because although it has more power and better suspension you can only throw a 350 lb bike around so much no matter how good the bike is. Yes Dakar riders can make it do miracles, but if they road the XL they would make it look better than any of us also. For the average rider it doesn' matter that there are better bikes when you get to 350 lbs. Even the KLR wil get you there. No matter which bike you choose you will add after market parts to make it suit you better. Even my KTM has Race Tech springs since I bottom the suspension too often. The real point is that weight is the single greatest problem with these bikes.
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote