View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood
Wow... just found this thread and I have to say I'm impressed with the magnitude of such an undertaking.

I just wanted to say kudos for taking the plunge and developing something that will certainly rank right up there with the TAT to the south.

I also wanted to offer any assistance you might need - in a digital sense. You mentioned that you weren't GPS 'experts' and thats why you're opting for a road book. I agree that having a road book will provide the end user a little more sense of adventure and force them to pay more attention to their surroundings instead of the green line on a little gadget strapped to their handlebars. That being said, if there's any combining of data or conversion of gpx files or any other GPS format, I'm fairly certain I can help you out.

As my nick implies, I'm a GIS technician by trade. I worked for over 10 years at a mapping company serving the various resource sectors in BC, and I'm now working for a large engineering consulting firm with offices from Vancouver BC to Halifax NS. I'm the 'data processing lackey' these days. I do a lot of work processing data from GPS survey units accurate down to 0.02m and combining that with more conventional survey data which is accurate to a fraction of a millimeter, so helping out with data thats accurate to +/- 5m is really no ordeal at all. If you need a hand with anything at all, just drop me a PM.

The brief glimpse of what you're mapping out so far looks amazing... can't wait til you start out west in BC! Keep up the good work. Cheers!

~GIS

Thanks for the words of encouragment. Thanks also for the offer....I'll definetly be in touch :)

I'm looking forward to BC as well, in a BIG way. I lived in the Bow Valley, Kootenay's and Squamish area's for about 10 years during my twenties. Spent years guiding on rivers and snowmobile guiding up in the hills and have a couple of fun valley's and mounain passes in mind :). But that's a few years away, for now I'm quite excited to explore the Rock, Quebec, Northern Ontario and Labrador :)

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 05:24 PM
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote