View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #1243
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,866
Missing and "Most Wanted"

A gentleman named TW Dean emailed me a photo of the very elusive "Indian Battle" marker in Upshur County that several of us have been looking for for over a year. It looks like it's really gone, since I recognize the location and have been by there several times. In fact, I pulled off the road and parked in that exact spot a few weeks ago so my wife could write down the phone # of a teacher supply store that is now advertised on the billboard.

Mr. Dean asked me to post the photo. It's not a motorcycle photo, so it's not Officially Official, but it's the only way we will see the marker for now. He said that he took the photo in 2006 or 2007.

Originally located on Old Rt 33 just about 1 mile west of downtown where the eastbound offramp from New Rt 33 comes down the hill.

File Photo of the Marker (2006 or 2007 - Now Missing) by TW Dean of Elkins. Thanks, TW!!

Most likely removed because of the reference to "savages". Not very politically correct now, is it?

The settlers in northwestern Virginia at first took no precautions of any kind, believing that they were too far from the Indian country to be molested. An attack led by the Cayuga chief Logan on the settlement at the mouth of Simpson's creek disillusioned them. Following the raid, the settlers in the vicinity of Clarksburg immediately erected Nutter's fort, which afforded protection as well to the Hacker's creek and Buckhannon settlements.
Local tradition, not well substantiated, says that Jesse Hughes and Elias Hughes, who afterwards became famous as scouts, were members of General Lewis's army at Point Pleasant, and Elias Hughes was reputed long afterwards to be the last survivor of the battle.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 04:07 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote