View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,778
Im in Chico and I know most all the trails in the mountains around here,the trick is they are mostly two stroke oriented single track and there are more blown down trees this year then ever. Lots of dirt/gravel roads going every which way,the silt beds are getting deep by now which can be tricky.
We went out yesterday(sunday) and rode backroads to Philbrook lake,we were stopped by 6ft snow banks at 6500 ft elevation and had to take a lower road to get there. Then we took a well established trail towards Butte Meadows,ended up being many bent over and blown over tress,we had to bushwack around some way out in the woods and cut some others to get through. I have a plated DRZe Suzuki 400 and a DR650 that is better for long dirt/pavement jaunts.

Early morning rides are good with 100+ temps going on currently.

A buddy of mine is getting a dualsport business started out of Chico,we just did a 400 miler to the coast and back a couple weeks ago,had 30 guys sign up,it was a fun 2 day ride. His site is www.ironmandualsport.com

Also there is a local club called the Paradise Ridge riders,they are based out of Paradise but half the meetings are in Chico,they are a good group and theres a few dualsport riders in it. www.paradiseridgeriders.com is their site I believe. Not much of a site but has some contacts on it.