View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #23
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I would like to hear some people discuss why they want a steering dampener or why they do not (some say they don't...). What's it good for and when is it bad? Anyone?
Well firstly and most importantly that gold finish on the Scotts adds some serious bling to your bike

I have never had much "feel" for the finer points of a bikes handling but I can tell you that the damper makes the biggest change to a bike.

We've all done it - fitted some of the latest killer mods to the bike and then ridden down the road thinking "Can I feel any change....I think I can....well I'm not sure.....yes, it must be better 'cos it cost enough!" Well with the Scotts you really can feel it.

The first time I hit some dirt with my Scotts fitted I thought "well now I'd better turn it (the damping) up and see what it does and it did it, just like riding down the street.

I did a week of varied trail riding last year and was not able to use the damper as my link arm fixing nut had fallen off - and boy did I suffer, it made everything such hard work.

As for the people who claim not to like/need dampers, well I can only assume that they have either not tried one, tried one that was set up wrongly, either too weak or too stiff or are riding gods who (unlike me) don't need all the help they can get.