View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia
First, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I plan to follow them as much as possible.

CaveDave, how kind of you to offer us a spot to stay. I had already booked our hotels when I saw your post. But thank you still.

NewHampWoodsRider, each of your recommendations is a good one. The reminder about the oil, tire pressure and braking will be heeded.

DC950, good reminder about hydration. There's a Pelican case on the top rack and we'll have a bike bag on top of that. My son got Mrs. Liberia a back pad to use so I think she'll be in good shape if I can force myself to stop more often than usual. Our daughter is there with an SUV so we can ditch the overpacking with her.

Fatboy, Mrs. Liberia kind of likes the picnic lunch thing but we're talking about one of the small, soft sided coolers that will fit in a pannier.

Route -
Saturday - fly to Boston, bike owner picks us up, pack and ride an hour (69 miles) to hotel.
Sunday/Monday - Ride 2 hours (108 miles) to Lenox, MA where we will stay and visit our daughter for 2 days.
Tuesday - Ride for 7 hours (424 miles) to Winchester, VA where we'll spend the night at a Hampton Inn.
Wednesday - Ride to hertz rent a car & pick up mid sized sedan for my wife. I continue for 7 hours (243 miles) which includes all of Skyline Drive as well as the upper portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Stay in Roanoke at the Hampton Inn.
Thursday - Ride for 5.5 hours (180 miles) on the BRP to Boone, NC where I'll spend the night at (you guessed it) a Hampton Inn.
Friday - Ride 6 hours (340 miles) back to Murfreesboro, TN. Mostly Interstate. Stop and pick up flowers.
Saturday - KLR needs washed, but I can't stand to look at that damned thing.
Sunday - Walked by the Kawi and broke out in a cold sweat. Ass hurts just looking at it. I keep telling myself, "but I only had to fill up twice a day"...."how cool is that?"

One month later - Love the bike now that my rear end has recovered and the numbness in my hands has subsided. Wife still not talking to me.

If we can get started early enough on Tuesday and Friday mornings we could get off the Interstates and take some of the state highways. But Mrs. Liberia isn't really a morning person. So I think we'll have to spend stay pretty close to the schedule above. I think we'll do fine as our longest days shouldn't be more than 10 - 11 from start to stop. That gives us plenty of time to relax and recover in the nicer hotels that we've chosen just for that purpose.

I fixed it for you.

Sounds like a great adventure.

Congrats, I've had two KLRs, they are awesome tools, best motorcycle Kawasaki has EVER made.

I hope your wife loves you a whole whole bunch.

SCQTT screwed with this post 07-21-2010 at 01:52 PM
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote