View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
HighFive Cascade Mountain Tour

It starts like this... a couple of years ago over on the monster WR250R thread, a certain inmate who goes by HighFive (HF) was an early and very active contributor and has given a lot of helpful information to many there. I got one of those WR250R DS bikes and proceeded to learn all I could over in the WRR thread. After some back and forthing, in posts and PM's it turns out HF was coming to the Seattle area on a trip with his daughter and he wanted to sample a bit of the views and greenery of the Pacific Northwest. I offered my WR250R for HF to ride and I would ride my Aprilia RXV550. A date was set and plans made for the ride, 7/16/10. HighFive would bring his riding gear, and I would provide transportation and bikes to ride.

Of course best laid plans... my Aprilia had a clutch problem just days before the ride and the part I needed would take too long to get, so it was out of commission. Asking around (OK, begging, pleading, groveling etc...) one of my riding friends Damon loaned me his Enduro racebike, a KTM EXC200, for a day. Whew! Thanks Damon! Saved by the bell.

So, hmm, where to take him? The closest area I or other rider friends I knew could think of was the Wenatchee National Forest: Maverick Saddle/Mad Lake/Klone Peak area, scenic and not too brutal. A day before the ride I called the Wenatchee Ranger Station only to find out the areas I wanted to ride were still seasonally closed, very late Spring this year. Argh! Another Seattle area inmate ThrottleThrill made the suggestion to try the area near Cashmere, WA - Devils Gulch trails: Sand Creek, Red Hill, Tronson Ridge. Good elevation gain, scenic, real single-trail and open. I printed the map, collected all the gear, loaded the bikes and waited for HigFive to show up the next morning...

Yes we trailered, I don't know about you, but 2.5 hours of pavement each way on a KTM 200 EXC only very marginally plated...do I need explain more?

It was a good day.

HighFive, you're up...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote