View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
Liberia OP
Liberia's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Oddometer: 561
Sunday - Day 2

Today started at 3:30am when I woke up after only 4 hours of sleep. Not sure whether it was excitement or something else. I fought it until 5:00am and then slipped out of the room for free internet access in the lobby to post yesterday's ride report.

At around 6:00am I went back to the room, showered, shaved and dressed for the day. I ended up wearing the same clothes as yesterday for some reason. Mrs. Liberia later commented that I couldn't keep doing that or everyone would think that all the pictures were taken in the same day.

I put off waking my wife as long as possible but finally had to wake her as LiberiaDaughter's boss, Mark, had comp'd us 2 tickets to Jacoby and Prock's (see a Dance Magazine article at final performance at Jacob's Pillow Dance Theater ( where she is serving as an intern. She graduated from Savannah College of Art and Design in May. The performance starts at 2:00pm and we have to be there by 1:30.

It's been a long time since we have missed church services on a Sunday morning but today would be an exception. As it turns out, I passed very few churches on the route we took.

So as Mrs. Liberia got up we used the Wolfgang Puck coffee in the room to make a couple of cups. I didn't know at the time that this would be all we had until 4:00pm in the afternoon. After that we repacked the bags and headed down to the bike. The guys with the BMW 1200RT and Ultra Classic were down and we talked for a few minutes. They were 60 miles aways from completing a 2,800 mile trip. We are 60 miles into a 1,200 trip.

After loading all the bags we mounted up and left for Lenox, MA via Highway 20. We could have taken I-90 almost the entire way and made it in 2 hours but we'll be on interstates too much on Tuesday and Friday so we choose to add an hour to the trip to stay on the more scenic backroads. The 50% increase in time turns out to be caused by the incredibly slow speed on most of Hwy 20. We experienced speed limits of 20 to, very rarely, 55mph. I'm sure we didn't average more than 40mph the entire way. However, the beautiful towns and country that we drove through were worth it.

Our first stop was when Mrs. Liberia leaned forward and said, "I need to go to the bathroom." So we stopped at the very first gas station. I gassed up (3.5 gallons) while it was discovered that this station had no bathroom. It's been 25 years since I've seen one of those... until today. So we crossed the street to a CVS drug store instead. This was about 45 miles into the day.

After that we continued west on 20. After another hour we stopped again along the roadway where a stream gurgled along.

We started again and made it to the Lenox Inn about 12:30pm. I used to book last night and tonight's rooms. Last night's was a tremendous deal but tonight's? Not so much. The Lenox Inn is a very old, motel that probably served travellers in the 50's and 60's. It's really a quaint little motel but the rooms are a little small and very poorly lit. But they are clean. My only requirements when travelling alone are clean and safe. When Mrs. Liberia is along however I like for the lodging to be a little nicer. But she's being a good sport about it.

We checked in, moved everything into the room, changed clothes and left to backtrack our way east on Hwy 20 to Jacob's Pillow. Soon after parking and changing shoes we saw the object of our joy. LiberiaDaughter was coming to meet us. We had not seen her in almost 3 months. She graduated from college and drove straight through to Becket to get there in time for her internship to start.

She showed us around the grounds, described what happens in each area and talked about some of the work she was doing. Her degree is in theater lighting and she is very competent plus has a strong work ethic. She'll do well wherever she lands. We met several of her co-workers and bosses and soon it was time to leave for the Doris Duke Theater and our show and for her to return to the show she was supporting. Today following the shows they have "changeover" which is loading out the current performers shows and loading in next week's groups. She will likely work until midnight or after.

She texted us that she would see us tonight as she is staying with us at the Lenox Inn. We left for Lenox and began running into drops of rain a few miles out. The drops increased and it looked like we should stop and put on the rainsuits but we were close so we made it back to a nice Chinese resturaunt a block from the motel and stopped for a meal (no pictures). A brief shower took place while we ate but it cleared up before we finished. Leaving we made a quick stop by a grocery store to pick up some fruit and other items. Then back to the motel for a nap and bath while waiting for our baby girl to arrive.

Today we had another low mileage day but managed to make our timeline. 153 miles and 3 hours.

"You can get everything in life you want if you'll just help enough other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]

Liberia screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 03:59 PM
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote