View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #3431
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Talking

Picked up my new Super Tenere on Friday and said goodbye to my faithful Wee Strom. Did about 450 kms over the weekend. Been taking it easy for the run in, so no dirt and only limited WOT/high revs so far. I have made the following observations so far:

Drive train: A bit tight at first, but noticeably improving in smoothness with each extra 100 km I put on it. Smoother than my Wee even at this early stage of its life, including below 3000 RPM.

Engine Power: Quite a contrast between Sports and Touring power modes with the former being very responsive and fun and the latter being tamer (thumbs up from the pillion for this mode) and very economical (best being 4.3 l/100 kms over 100 kms on highway ie. 55 US MPG).

Seating: Most comfortable stock seat I have ever encountered. Seat height is a tad higher than on my Wee and I have the suspension on soft (lowest) setting until I get used to it.

Handling: Easy to balance, even two-up. Weight becomes slightly noticeable when weaving through twisties but not unmanageable.

Aerodynamics: Smoother airflow than on the Wee (with Madstad bracket) but increased wind noise hence ear plugs are now essential. More planted on the road than my Wee (with fork brace) in gusty winds or at high speed.

Brakes: Very impressive, even two-up.

Traction Control: Haven't really pushed it yet but it did tamely arrest an attempted wheel spin I tried in loose gravel.

Tyres: Came with Metzler Tourances, which are actually what I'd shoe this bike with. Very planted, even in the rain/hail I encountered yesterday.

Public interest: Much interest from others when I had it parked out the front of a bakery in Braidwood, including someone taking a photo. It seems my days of obscurity from riding a Wee Strom may be gone!

So there you have it. It will be at least another few weeks before the bike emerges from its 1600 km break-in period and hence my desire to test its abilities more completely. Nonetheless, I am very happy with it so far and do not regret my decision to trade the Wee in for it, even for the price premium that I paid.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style

SuperCruise screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 09:54 PM
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote