View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 841
I love, love, love leaving on a trip. I love getting on the bike knowing I am on the first travel day. I love passing the cars coming the other way on their morning commute. And I love waving to bikes coming the other way doing the same thing. I love knowing that I will be driving by the regular turn off to work and going going going. I see the other riders look over at a fully loaded bike. They know too that my day will be much different than theirs.

Loaded and ready for lift off from Seattle. Wife, Ms. Adv, take the official pic and we are good to go. This spring has been the worst in history weather wise. One of the coldest and wettest to date. It looks as tho we have caught a break as the forecast is for decent weather until we get into the interior of BC where it should be good.

We will be taking the Westerly way to AK for those who read the Milepost. That means Cassiar Hyder/Stewart and the likes.

Checking in with Chris, he has no desire for 3 hours of slab up I-5 (I like him more already). We opt for a trip to the west to the Olympic Peninsula. From there we will ferry to Vancouver Island and Victoria where we will visit my sister. Whatever, whenever at work and we have just left the driveway.

On the way we drive right by Rich's Custom seats again, so we stop. The great thing about his place is that there are always bikes there, and real 'riders', no show and tell guys here. Only those who put serious time on their bikes cough for the dough to be comfortable. There are always good folks to chat with. And of course he always has the coffee on!

One such Harley rider made the trip to AK a couple of years ago on his ultra. He said the TOW was a mess in the rain. He paddled his way in the mud for hours; but he had a big ass grin on his face! Now that is my kinda guy. We hung for a cup and then made our way to Port Angeles for the Ferry to Victoria.

Here we are waiting for the Ferry. Note the young woman leaning on the back of the Goldwing.

She is a 13 year old girl traveling with her dad from Colorado. He is all chatty and having fun, she has her face planted in her hands facing away from the group. Not particularly in the mood at the moment and I guess it has been a long trip. Dad notes that she lost her communication wire that allows them to talk, so she has just had her Ipod. He also says that this is the second trip where that has happend. Can you believe it?? Maybe he would take the hint? haha. They were both having fun later on the boat, and likely this was just one of those moments.

Chris does his best imitation of Brad Pitt on vacation as we head to Canada.

As we approach Victoria harbor, or is it harbour, we see a large cruise ship that is likely heading to AK as well. The border crossing is interesting as the series of questions for chris was unique. Is this your dad? Does your mom know you are here? Do you live with your mom? How long have you had the bike? Ever been on a bike trip before? How long was it? Where did you go? The one that through him was "Where do you live"? We always say Seattle when we travel because more people know that than Bellevue, where it says we live on the passport. She looked down at the passport, then back and him and asked again. He got it right the second time. Chris refers to the Q&A as the "Do you love your mother border crossing"

The weather was now hot and we have lucked out. We park the bikes and tour the fine city on foot. The Empress hotel is just beautiful. They said they were full for afternoon tea, but I think maybe they didn't want us radical adventure dudes in their tea room.

We also took a tour of the Parliament build. Quite impressive to see where not very much gets done. I think it was Mark Twain who said, "thank the lord that we don't get all the government we pay for".

As we left we took the one and only highway out of Victoria up to my sisters. 25 years ago they were in the boonies, now they are just out in the woods. Nice place and a great twisty road to get us there. Outside of the worst traffic jam I have been in in a while, the drive was nice. My niece comes by, we all have few homebrew and a great chat.

We share stories of 35 years ago when they toured the US together for several months on motorcycles. He was on a 750 Honda, and she was on a Honda 350 four. Things have changed a lot since then as he looks over our bikes.

He still has his 1972 (I think) Honda 750 tucked away in the barn. It was so crammed in I could not get a pic. He needs to bring that baby out and restore it. It was THE bike in the day, Windjammer fairing and all.

We then all sit down to what will be our last home cooked meal in a while. My sis is a great cook.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-02-2010 at 11:59 AM
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote