View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #37
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgboyd
I'm loving following your RR. I live in VA and need to get down there to cruise the BRP and especially see that farm village museum. Hope you enjoy the rest of your ride!

Phil
PGBoyd,

Mabry Mill is a really nice stopping point. It is probably the best spot that we stopped at along the BRP. There were several volunteers there providing information and demonstrating various crafts and everyday farm tasks from 100+ years ago. I'm not quite 100 years old but noticed a few things from my early childhood. One was the sorghum mill and evaporator that is used to make molasses. As a child growing up in rural northern Florida our families would get together at Thanksgiving for a "cane grinding." Rather than sorghum we used sugar cane that we grew and instead of the evaporator we used a large, cast iron kettle to boil the cane juice until it finally turned into syrup. What wonderful memories that the mill brought back.

Here's a link to the Mabry Mill website:

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=105

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]

Liberia screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 03:34 PM
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote