View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #39
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Day 7 - Friday - Finally Home

I didn't wake up until 7:30 this morning. I guess the trip is catching up with me as well. Although we have decided to make it all the way home today, I'm letting Mrs. Liberia sleep in again. So off with the computer to the breakfast buffet. Nothing there that I need to eat but the coffee is good.

About 9:00 I decide to take lunch, I mean breakfast, up to sleeping beauty. I wake her up and provide some toast, fruit, etc. plus the coffee and then leave to gas up while she gets ready. The bed has been incredibly comfortable. Hampton Inns are always good.

So we leave Boone on US-321 for Johnson City, TN where we will pick up I-26 West and pick up I-81 South near Bristol, TN. I-81 will take us to I-40 West which will go through Knoxville, TN and finally to Hwy 96 which will eventually get us close to home. 340 miles and we'll be home. Unfortunately most of it is on Interstates.

The nice thing about the first 50+ miles is that it will look a lot like the BRP as we travel through the Cherokee National Forest. Perhaps more traffic, including trucks, but still a nice ride.

Curves, curves and more curves

One of the creeks along US 321 feeding into Watauga Lake

Watauga Lake in the Cherokee National Forest

Now that's a fun sign

Reminds me of Georgia

Another picture of the lake

A nice marina

This trips turning into a blur

For you coffee drinkers

Can't stay for the movie

Trucks for the first time in 3 days

A good Cracker Barrel lunch just west of Knoxville

Within an hour or so of home we cross the Center Hill Dam

Caney Fork River on the right

Center Hill Lake on the left

Highway 96, getting closer to home

Three's a crowd

We continue on the last 45 minutes through Woodbury, TN and then to Murfreesboro. After a quick stop by the church to make sure a band that's using the facilities are okay, we make the final 18 miles home. Wow is it good to be home.

I'll post a summary of the trip including how the bike handled, recommendations for others taking this trip, gas mileage, etc. either later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for going along on the trip with us.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]

Liberia screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 08:08 PM
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote