View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #145
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,082
Riding South from Big Springs

Three tracks. The red one takes some non-motorized trails. The blue one follows the railroad grade trail. The gray one is Big Dog's track down the scenic byway.

Big Springs is the headwaters of the Henry's Fork of the Snake River. It is one of the 40 largest natural springs in the world. It produces about 120 million gallons of water a day.

This picture will cause a headache. The rolling surface of the water from the springs beneath will not let your eyes think they are focused.

Before he was connected with the Sopranos and organized crime in New York, Johnny Sack built this cabin here at the springs. He had a waterwheel generator to produce electricity. Sack arrived here in a blizzard in June 1909.

I didn't go into the cabin for a tour, but since Sack was only 4' 11" I suspect the dooways may be a little low. I understand that he was a very handy workworker and that there are items in the cabin that he made that are quite remarkable.

I headed out to this trail heading south.

On this end of the trail, things are annoyingly whooped out and the soft ash like surface material is not so much fun.

I decided to stay with it for a few miles to see what would happen. Glad I did as it turned into a nice ride.

Tetons

I think there are four of these gates along the trail. There are side gates to go around instead of over. Even creeping along my KLR dragged a little going over these.

Besides having to occasionally deal with cattle, this trail tried to take me out a few other times. The soft gravel in the center tries to put you down when you change lanes. You change lanes sometimes to avoid brush that is growing into the traffic lane of the trail. I had more near misses here (none serious) than I did going down Fleecer Ridge.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 08-02-2010 at 12:09 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote