View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Day -4, Mountain View, CA to Oroville, CA

Day -4? You'll see, keep reading and the numbering will make sense. I'm planning on 4 days from Mountain View CA to Kalispell MT. After the movers pack up all my worldly possessions, motorcycles, bicycles, etc, all I am left with is everything I will need for the next 3 weeks and an empty house in which I just turned in the keys.

A bit famished, I head out for some fine dining in the middle of the afternoon at my favorite local taqueria. For those of you in the south bay area, you must check out Ruby's Taqueria in Sunnyvale....it's pretty well hidden on the south side of a sound wall off of 101 in between Mathilda and Fair Oaks, but look it up and be amazed with their tacos. Some excellent chips, tacos, and of course a Mexican Coke.

Before hitting the road, I snapped a photo of my rear Death Wing. I was planning on 1300 miles to Kalispell and had a worn out D606 up front which I knew would make the trip but wasn't 100% sure on how close I could cut it with the rear.

I then hit the super slab, trying to get to Oroville CA as quick as possible in just a few hours. Right before Oroville I ran into one of my last chances for some fresh California peaches and plums....

The ride up would also be a test of the gas range with my 5 gallon IMS tank. I had filled up in Mountain View and managed to make it to Oroville without using reserve, which was about 200 miles. Riding at 70-75 mph, I managed somewhere around 48 mpg. Not TOO bad, but I was running at higher speed. I then checked into Motel 6, grabbed some Subway, and relaxed to Gran Torino (good movie) on HBO, in preparation for a real day on the road the next morning.

isaac004 screwed with this post 08-11-2010 at 12:19 AM
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote