View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #43
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyPants
I echo the praise for sure. A couple questions though. I don't have a Bandsaw or a heat lamp...and temps are not quite that hot around here in SF. Is this still doable or am I just asking for trouble? Something that could be done with a heat gun and some beer? The bandsaw seems like a necessity...

I do have some foam though...haha. Also what are you generally using for shaping your model? I have an exacto/utility knife and sand paper, but I was wondering if you were using anything else.
When post curing in the sun I was able to see temps of the composites of 200 deg.F. By leaving it in there for 6 hrs.....instead of the " required 2 @300 deg.F.) I would say that that`s enough to achieve enough strength, and then if it heats up more ( i dont know if it does while mounted)...then it will just get stronger. That was done with an outside temp in the mid to high 90`s. If that scenario is not an option........then next is a heat lamp...... It can be had for about $30 at the hardware store...( go with the red light bulb.... The white is cheaper, but has more hot spots. If that is not an option..... Then I would steer away from the high temp epoxy, and use a regular type, like the max-clr. That type requires no post cure heat elevation, and if you sculpt`s the mold to stay about 1 inch away from the cat, and header you should be ok. As far as cutting with the band saw......Or should I say without one.... The saw blade on a little metal hacksaw is essential the same as the one on the band saw..... But with the hack saw....you do all the work..... whereas on the band saw... you don`t. It`s not that the little one won`t cut it..... You just need a lot of beer....
As far as shaping the mold.... You are on the right path..... Excacto knife.... regular knife..... hack saw.... sand paper...... etc... What ever you got....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote