View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #45
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish
I was a bit skeptical of this thread when you started, thinking, "what's the point?". But you have won me over. I may not be so into the whole carbon fibre look, but you are very talented and the possibilities of this material are very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a workshop or the tools that you have to try this (and finding the same source materials here in spain is probably tricky), but I really appreciate the time and patience you have put into explaining the process. It's fascinating. Thank you!

Incidentally, the grooves in the bashplate, are they to help the plate fit around the pipes?
Thanks..........When this is done... I will actually buff the finish to a dull.....more industrial look instead of the high gloss finish. I think it suits the 8gs better......and scratches will not stand out as much. The 3 groves houses the honey comb strips ( cardboard...)... They added tremendous stiffness length wise, so if you run up on a rock while in motion..... the energy released in the collision between skid plate and rock will be temporary stored and then released....And in theory bike will bounce off the rock....... When in theory... An aluminum bash plate.....will stay in its new " bend" state..... this one...after absorbing the impact will bounce back.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote