View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Day -1, Nezperce State Forest ID to Kalispell MT

I slept very well that night, largely due to Paul's (another metion for ya!) recommendation on the best sleeping pad ever. Try it out, you'll agree.
http://www.rei.com/product/780369

On the road around 7am again...I'll keep saying it throughout this ride report but it is simply the best time to be on a motorcycle. This is heading N/W on ID-14, on my way up to the LoLo Pass.

And then the infamous LoLo Pass! I saw virtually no cars that morning. Only had to pass 1-2 and that was it. The road was stunning, espcially in the crisp mountain morning air. I was passed by a BMW, what looked to be a 1200GS, who was running slightly faster then I.

On the east end of the Lolo Pass, I had to stop and take this photo. When I passed it 2 years ago, I was regretted not having stopped to snap a photo of it.

And then Montana! At this rest stop I saw a green KLr and a Harley pull out together...hmmm, seems like an odd combo. I also saw a pair of V-Strom's with Canadian plates but never saw the riders.

Saw a bunch of hamburgers and milk shakes heading east on US-12 towards Missoula...

Remember that odd combo of green KLR and Harley I just mentioned? Well I came across those two and decided to snap a photo for some reason. (I later met him and his name is Adam).

We chatted for 20 seconds at a stop light....I asked him where he was headed to and he said Alaska. He asked me where I was headed and I said the Great Divide. Light turned green, and we all rolled forward. I then passed them, off on a mission to find lunch in Missoula. Later in Missoula I stopped at a Subway parking lot to check out the GPS on food options. I saw them pass me and decided it would be better to stalk I mean follow them. In downtown Missoula they pulled into a parking lot and I asked if I could join them. Turns out Adam is a true adventurer and has been riding north from Chile since Feb 2009. Read his story here...I espcially love the parts about the KLR boat and the KLR raft.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543660

Here is Adam and the Harley guy, Dennis. Dennis was a local who was showing him around a bit before Adam coninued onto Alaska.

Hmm, Adam's bike is like a mimi mobile BP oil leak.

A little bit north of Seeley Lake I pulled off at a camp site/boat launch ramp for a little afternoon relaxation.

Another hour or so up the road and the tarmac was beginning to show some wetness. In addition, the clouds were leaking! I decided I should pull over, bag up the cell phone (I was listening to some Fresh Air podcasts), and put on some rain gear. I saw another rider doing the same thing and pulled over to chat for a few. I didn't catch his name, but he had just ridden the Great Divide Trail from Montana down to Wyoming with some friends, and had turned around to head back home to Canada while his buddies continued south. He had a pretty cool DR650 with some nice tank bag guards/supports.

This is the only time during the entire trip that I broke out the rain jacket. I swear, it looked like I was about to ride into a big storm.

Whaddya know, it went dry again!

Not too soon after, I rolled into the Motel 6 in Kalispell and finally met up with my Dad! He had just spent one week riding out from Ann Arbor Michigan.

I was also greeted by this monstrosity on his XR650...

After a few thousand miles, here is what my front D606 looked like.

We rested up and did some planning and repacking that evening.

isaac004 screwed with this post 08-11-2010 at 12:21 AM
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote