View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,168
An interesting fan failure

So I am trying to get my bikes prepped for the Dualsport Sidecar Skills Minitour coming up and the last sidecar class for the season which is the following weekend ( August 27-29, 2010).

I was very disappointed to have the fan on this bike quit so early in the ride because this rig was 'sposed to be in good shape, aside from the tires: new brakes, recent oil change, new steering head bearings, gone through over the winter, running well.

The fuse looked good and we swapped in the spare fuse and nothing happened. Today I swapped in a new relay and no joy. I was going through the wiring with the multimeter- no juice at the relay, no juice on the relay side of the fuse, 13v on the battery side of the fuse- WTF!? I bridged the fuse and grounded the fan switch lead and the fan started whirring! Both the fuse and the spare fuse had a tiny hairline fracture, only visible to my old eyes out of the holder and in perfect light. No sign of melting- a tiny, break at right angles across the metal element. New fuse and back in biz!

RedMenace screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 07:17 AM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote