View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
Day 3 – Jun 8, Low 70°, High 95°. We made a leisurely departure after a long breakfast and conversations with other vets and went North on Hwy 1 and 33 to Wabash River at Hutsonville, where we split up so Eric could go back to work. I crossed the river into Indiana and continued north on Hwy 63 and east on 245 where I promptly had a flat rear tire. (Of course, it was drizzling.)
Tire:

I unloaded all the gear and had to dig a small groove to get the center stand down. Getting the Pig on the center stand without the 4 plus inches of rear tire lift is a bitch! After cleaning and searching I finally found a small U-shaped flap that hid a nail hole. I got it plugged and inflated while it continued to rain.

Got all “My sierra in one bravo” and headed to Greenfield, IN where I stayed in a KOA Cabin to dry my mesh gear while a BIG storm went east over me that night.
Ending Odometer – 50660= 248 miles and very wet! Squish, squish, squish…

Day 4 – June 9 RAIN, high 87 ° – broke out the ‘Stitch and packed dry mesh gear. All the creeks, ditches and rivers were full, and by 9:00 AM, the sun came out when I stopped in Anderson, IN for a McD’s biscuit. A nice guy named Rudy, who was a coach, proudly advised me that Anderson had the largest high school gym in the state. Nice to see a lot of pride in a person. Lunch consisted of a Gatorade fierce grape and 3 Fig Newtons – did I mention I wanted to lose weight? Highway74, the smallest of the paved roads got even narrower:

Hwy 74:

I later had to almost stop for a girl in a Firebird on the one lane section – she was smart enough not to trust the wet shoulder on the farm road. Beautiful farms, straight rows – I think they use a GPS with “auto steer”. The smells after a rain are also clean. Found a neat campground near a lake:

Camp site:

And the paper work:

Ending Odometer – 50970 = 310 miles

Day 5 – June 10 low 60° high 80° . West Salem Ohio to Gainesville, NY. Beautiful back country roads – lots of Amish farms. Found a nice wooded campground on West Hoy Creek.

And, of course, Captain Morgan:

OK, no more campsite Photos - ya'll get the idea!
Called my wife, as I do every night when I stop (so she won’t send the Marines or Highway Patrol to look for me), and she informed me that a campground in Arkansas had been flooded and people were drowned and missing. Hmmmm, where is the high ground?
Ending Odometer - 51335 = 365 miles.

Day 6 -June 11 Gainesville NY to Baldwinsville, NY to visit another Marine friend, David, and his son Jack. Enroute stopped at Letchworth State Park Gorge:

This park is immaculate – the staff obviously work hard to make it pristine. Mount Morris is a quaint little town that seems very relaxed.

Stopped at Lake Canandaigua and after reading about the wine tour, decided to save the Erie Canal and fingerlakes for a future RV trip with my wife.

Stopped at Barcelone NY and a cute girl in this store put a gun to my head and made me buy a BIG chocolate chip cookie which I enjoyed as I looked at the Barcelona Light house.

Ending Odometer 51500 = 165 miles

On Sat, June 12, David, Jack & I toured the Lake Erie Canal locks and Fort Ontario at Oswego, where I forced David and Jack (at gun point) to eat BBQ at the Dinosaur BBQ:

Think this tire is the right choice for the Trans-Labrador Highway?

We also went to David’s sister’s home on the St. Lawrence waterway near Alexandria Bay. The thousand island area is really impressive. Some islands are considered in the US and some are in Canada.

Day 8, Sun, June 13 Odometer 51500, Lows 60s high 89°. Drove up through Sackets Harbor, Rts. 3 to 9 to Vermont. Hwy 78 to Newport was tied up and slow with construction.

At Chazy, I saw pretty yellow flowers with Lake Champlain in background:

Stayed at Mountain Lake Campground ($31.00) at Lancaster, NH – very nice. With the cost of some small hotels around $55.00 and some campgrounds close to $41.00 for a cabin, it makes you re-evaluate the economic advantage of packing up wet camping gear.

Ending Odometer 51941 = 441 miles. I told you I was poking along!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote