View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,439
I came back to the room and took a night time shot out the window – without disabling the flash…Duh!. When I regained my vision.....

Ending Odometer 55314 = 96 miles - but lots of walking.

Day 19 June 24 Up and out early at 5:30 for breakfast at the Celtic Hearth Tavern:

Street vacuum cleaner:

Walked around town some more and looked at murals and brightly colored homes. Went out to the Toy Box and just as he said, Keith had the bike ready at 11:00!!!! These Newfies are A- OK!!! They all have a great sense of humor.

I load up and head for Cape Spear – the eastern most point on the North American continent. Gusty winds and neat twisty roads with low speed limits.

A local guy told me they lose about 6 visitors a year who get to close to the rocks and a wave takes them out – he called them CFAs “Came From Afar” because they are often foreign students.

Now this is where I should have decided to stay another 2 days (ferries to Nova Scotia are every other day) and ridden the Avalon Peninsula and explored the gun emplacements I saw from the ferry:

If any of you proud Newfies know exactly where these gun emplacements are located and whether they are accessible, please let me know so I can put them on my new bucket list. I don’t remember how long the ferry had been moving when I took the photos. I would have camped there for a day exploring.

I met the other 4 inmates at the ferry landing again. The ferry left an hour late but we didn’t care. We loaded our bikes:

Then we went topside and had dinner. We had bunks in the dormitory which was a good investment. I had a big dinner and one drink and hit the rack.

Day 20 June 25 70° and cloudy. Off the ferry and south from North Sydney. I decide that I am going to come back in the RV with my wife and tour Nova Scotia in detail.

I go to Capewell Rocks on Bay of Fundy to see the largest tide drop in the world, 4 stories. See the people at the bottom of the photo and the trees 4 stories above them:

I am hungry and have a craving for lobster!
I head south and stop at Alma for the Alma Lobster Shop:

To be continued.......

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote