View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #45
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249
South Ore.coast to Hyder AK

Just returned from approximately 3000 ride from my home on the Southern Oregon coast north. Left here and rode to Port Angeles WA the first day...530 miles with the usual slow going on the north coast of OR due to tourist. After crossing the Columbia River, it was free flying on up to P.A. Took the ferry from PA to Victoria and rode on up to the Port Hardy the next day. Took the ferry from P.H. to Prince Rupert. Great ferry ride. They have great tie downs bikes are very secure. I have had my bike tip over on the ferry to Victoria as it can be quite the side to side rocker and I had it tied to the side.

Next day rode 16 east then 37 north to 37A. At this time, 37 is closed further up because of forest fires. The 40 miles to Steward/Hyder are well worth the entire trip. The views are amazing. Took the usual pictures of entering Alaska. Next day rode out and to Prince George.

The ride south for P.G. to Hope was quite smokey with visibility reduced to less then 2 miles as there are over 300 fires going on in B.C. From Hope, crossed into the US at Sumas with is an easy crossing due to little traffic. Rode on the Aberdeen and back onto 101.

My F800GS ran great. Mileage was between 55 and 61 mpg. It now has over 28,000 miles.
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote