View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Day 6 - Tetsa Prinvcial park to just east of Tok, AK

(Day 6 gallery here)

Day 6 say the most miles in a single day, 910 or so.

The first stop was in Watson Lake. I had no idea to the Sign Post was as big as it was. The story goes there was a worker who got home sick, and put up a sigh from his home town, and it started to grown. Now the town maintains the park, wow!

Took over 20 unique pictures there, many more in the daily gallery.

Other than the "Sign Post", did not take too many pictures, Cheryl on the back of the Goldwing took a lot of pictures in flight. She will be sending me the pictures when they get back.

It was great riding with them.

Further on down the road we came across a couple on their bikes on the side of the road having some bike problems. The bike had run out of gas earlier in the day, and was now pouring gas out of the carb when running. The collective guess was dirt keeping the needle valve open. With a couple of well hones tapes from the plastic end of a screw driver Woody and Jim got the bike alive.

We grabbed some Chinese in Haines Junction. It was too early to call it a day, so we continued west. Jim/Woody where talking to a rider that had come from Tok and said the traffic had been slow and the border was really busy from 10-4 or 5 with RV traffic.

Anyway, we kept on going, and when it was time to look for a place to camp, not much was to be found. By the time we had found a decent place, we had crossed the border and where fairly close to Tok.

I definitely want to go along the stretch of road from Haines Junction to Tok again, the area around Kluane Lake was simply amazing. And I am looking forward to to seeing the pictures Cheryl took!

And today had the next oops, somewhere between the first and second fill-ups the straps loosened. In the processes I lost one of my dry and folding stool. In the dry bag was a borrowed air mattress, tire spoons, pillow, other tools, lantern, and one or two other things. As we passed through Whitehorse I hit Canadian Tire and got a new mattress, flash lights and tarp. Also replaced the front tire at the Honda Dealership. Turns out 30lbs of pressure is a bit low for a Distanzi front, and it had cupped badly.

TxLoneRider screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 11:32 PM
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote