View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
De Eee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
OK, I better finish this up!
When I left Mid Hills in the am it was still sub-freezing. I really wanted to lose some altitude and get down to some warmer temps.

I retraced the road back to the Kelso/Cima rd. and headed north about 10 miles and turned wsw just past Sunshine Rock. This turned out to be a good hardpack road out past the Valley View Ranch where it looked like some rangers live. It got sandy for awhile and then got progressively more and more rocky as I entered the Cinder Cone Lava Beds. By then it had warmed up considerably and my hands worked again.

There was one little technical section (4x4) where the road climbed up onto the lava flow. Right along there I passed the Aikens Mine which looks active.
A couple miles later I came to the "Lava Tube" and stopped to check it out.
About 50 yds off the trail are these 2 holes which lead into the tube. They looked bottomless from the outside so there was no way I was going in.

Looking west out over the Lava Beds.

After surveying the map I decided to finish the ride by going sw through Jackass Cyn. and then turning nw and looping around Old Dad Mtn. The road through Jackass was a pretty wide and well developed dirt road and followed some power lines.

Clouds over Jackass.

When I turned nw the road got much more primitive again. It was some of the best riding of the whole trip crossing in and out of dozens of small ravines.

Here is the sw side of the Old Dad.

By late morning I was back in Baker. I didn't see even one other moto or car the whole time, it was total solitude. My total milage was only about 175 but I did see alot of new area. It was a leisurely pace! I started out with 1.2 gallons in a can as I didn't plan to hit any gas stations and ended up with almost a gallon left. I figured the bike was getting 55 mpg.
Thanks for checking it out.

De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote