View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #55
swimmonkey
JMS

Oddometer: 54
Grips

Just bought some ProGrip Soft Touch Rally Grips from the Cycle Gear store in Austin, Texas. Cost $9.99. These are very nice silicon grips. I carefully cut and pealed back the stock thin-grips, making sure I did not cut the main terminals at the inside of the grip stop ring or the heating element under the grip. They came off very cleanly and easily.

I then used the hair spray tip and used compressed air from a short, rubber-tipped air gun. I placed the air gun tip under the edge of the grip and pulled the trigger. The grips slid on easily and by blowing the air under the grip, I was easily able to adjust the grip position. The hair spray dried quickly (It is 103 degrees here today.) I only bought one set. Put the 22mm on the clutch side and the 24mm on the throttle tube side. There is no need to buy two sets!

I've got to say, this is one of the easiest grip swaps I have ever done. They're snug and I don't think there will be any need for safety wiring. I tested the heated grips and all is good.
swimmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote