View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Day 5

Day 5 - Drumheller to Invermere

We slept in as late as we could at the hotel this morning, hoping to get as much rest as we could after the late day on the road yesterday. Also, we figured we had a pretty short day ahead of us, today. We figured wrong.

We did stop at Horseshoe Canyon for a photo along the way, tho...

Not far out of Drumheller along Hwy 9, we ran into some construction. At first it was just milled pavement in prep for resurfacing. Then the pavement was gone and it turned into this:

Needless to say, we didn't make it very far in this slop. We were only about 200 meters in when I started thinking "Screw this, we're turning around and taking a secondary route around this mess" when I looked in the mirror to see Brandi going down.

Luckily we were only crawling along at about 5km/h by then, and she managed to stay clear of the bike as it dropped. I still get pretty concerned with any kind of fall she takes with her back injury. She seemed to weather it pretty well, and we backtracked into Drumheller to take a break, wash the bikes off, and plan a route around the construction.

Here are a couple shots of the DRZ after I picked it up and got it turned around:

"I tried!" :

Back at the carwash:

Ick.

Finally... leaving Drumheller. Again.

Brandi stretching out a bit as we keep piling on the miles:

So after a lengthy detour, we finally make it into and through Calgary. Originally we had intended to stay with a friend here, but we wanted to push on so we grabbed a quick bite and hit the road. The flat prairies quickly gave way to the rolling foothills of the rockies:

Our first roadside stop out of Calgary was populated with gophers. They were fairly brave, looking for a handout...

...until you moved. Then they'd haul ass for their burrows:

We stopped for gas in Canmore and avoided Banff altogether, wanting to continue putting on miles rather than fighting with tourist traffic in town. Here's a shot of Mt Rundle between Canmore and Banff:

And Castle Mountain off in the distance, opposite where we would veer west off the Icefields Parkway towards Radium and on to Invermere:

The light failed soon afterwards and we tried to follow vehicle traffic when we could. Most of them were doing +120km/h, tho... so when we were alone on the road we were sticking to speeds more like 70-80 km/h. There were TONS of deer on the roadsides, so we were taking it slow and steady. Another late night getting to our destination and we crashed out almost immediately. Looking forward to staying put somewhere for more than a few hours at a time.

GISdood screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 12:24 PM
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote