View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Oddometer: 263

Heading up the Hurley River FS Road, what a great view over Pemberton Meadows...its a pretty good climb up, with the views just getting better as you go.

Check out the snow on the peaks ... remember this is August!

Long slow climb up, past purple fireweed on an old cutblock.....

So everything was going just swimmingly, the road was great we were having a blast. We turned off the main Hurley River Road onto East Hurley Rd.heading up to the old mining community of Bralorne. The road surface was generally really good, but I did try and dodge any really sharp looking evil rocks. This strategy seemed to be working really well, until of course, it stopped working.

I came over a little rise in the road and immediately felt the front tire go flat. This was one of my fears of riding remote roads on the bike, as I hadn't ever had to fix a flat on the bike before. Like I said at the beginning of this RR, I had watched a youtube video that showed how to do it, but had no hands on experience. In a fit of genius/paranoia, shortly before going on this trip I had bought a spare front and rear tube, a $35 mini compressor from an automotive shop, tire irons, and thrown in a few basic tools, Torx set etc. I also brought my owners manual that describes the process. It actually turned out to be alot easier than I thought. It may have been more stressful if I was on my own, but the two of us worked through the change pretty fast. (I also think Craig is pretty good on the tools, more so than me, which gave me some confidence) Just have to remove the ABS Sensor, an allen key and a wrench on two more bolts, then off with the front wheel.

It helps obviously, to have a center stand on the bike, which I had installed a few months ago. We let any remaining air out of the tire, then started to lever off one side .

After that was done, the damaged tube comes out easily. (remove the locking nut on the stem first) We put a bit of air in the new tube, and slipped it in to the tire, taking care to center the new stem and keep it 90 degrees to the rim. After it was in, we started to lever the tire back in place, making sure not to pinch the new tube. The new mini compressor was plugged into the accessory socket on my bike, and then it was just a matter of putting in 27psi of air.
I was however dripping with sweat at the end of all this, as it was pretty damn hot!

Repeat the front wheel removal, but in reverse....and we were rolling again.

We carried on for a few more km's and arrived at Bralorne .... with the new tube holding its air....
Bralorne still has a few people living there, but you can see that it used to be quite a happening little community.
Some great old buildings. Must be weird at night.

We rode through Gold Bridge, which is just a few buildings really, a store, post office etc., then hit the junction of the Carpenter Lake Road, we head towards Lillooet. Its a good road, winding along Carpenter Lake ... we saw almost no other traffic of any kind. There must be good berries along this road, because every few hundred meters was a pile of purple bear crap .... I have no idea why they choose to dump on the road.... We came around one corner and saw a good size black bear, possibly coming down to make a deposit. He took off up a 45 degree scree slope, running uphill at an amazing speed, reminding me to never try and outrun a bear.

Carpenter Lake ends at the Mission Dam, which has a tunnel. Which requires a stop. For repeated riding back and forth through tunnel. Cuz its fun.

There's blacktop on parts of this road, mainly the southern end if I remember right.

You can see the red (dead) trees in the distance that have been killed by the Mountain Pine Beetle. Most of BC has huge swaths of dead Lodgepole Pine just ripe for massive forest fires.

We came out at the basecamp for the Yalakom River fire, a huge fire that they were fighting with tankers and helicopters. A week before one of the choppers had crashed, seriously injuring the two pilots.

Photo Credit: Kayla Pepper

Looked like a small placer mining operation down by the Yalakom River.

I love the squared logs in this old building...what a lot of work using hand tools (to say nothing of dove tailing the corners!)

This is one of the coolest stop signs I've ever seen! Written in English and the local Tl'itl'ikt First Nation (Lillooet Indian Band) At least, I'm assuming that's the language...feel free to correct me.

We turned onto the Moon Creek Road, and at a bridge noticed dozens of cars parked along side the road. We had to slow down to cross the narrow bridge. All the people we saw were local first nations, heading down to the Fraser River far below us. I couldn't quite work out what was going on, then it dawned on me that they were fishing for salmon. We pulled over and watched for a bit as they methodically swooped their long handled nets back and forth in the turbulent brown water. Others had gill nets tied between long poles, and they sat on the shore nearby. Further upstream we could see big camps set up, with drying racks erected from which to hang the newly caught salmon. It was an amazing sight, one that has been going on in the same spot for thousands of years.

More to come...stay tuned!

RiderJones screwed with this post 08-17-2010 at 10:13 PM
RiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote