View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,691
The Summer of Stupid: 7400+ miles of 2up - OBCDR, CDT, TAT West and more...

BigWan and I decided to celebrate our 13th anniversary with a little dirt. What better way to test the ol’ marriage vows than with some off road 2up? Our route incorporated 2 days of the Pacific Crest Quest, the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route (including Crane Mountain), most of the Continental Divide Trail (including Lava Mountain and Fleecer Ridge), and the Trans America Trail from Colorado to Oregon. We also threw in a couple bonus Colorado passes (including Black Bear Pass to Telluride) and Utah’s White Rim Trail.

10 states
42 days
7450 miles
3 sets of knobbies
And I finally remembered to take some food photos!

Initially, I had been thinking that “The Summer of Love and Dirt” would be a cute title for a ride report. Cheesy, but with our love of dirt, our anniversary, and then the little good luck charms I planned to leave for other riders...it seemed fitting. But, after the first few days, it seemed like all we ever said was, “Oh my god. We are so f**king stupid!”
So, there we were - enjoying the summer of stupid.

“Wait a minute,” you’re saying to yourself - “Wasn’t that the theme of their last ride report ?” Haha, okay, it’s not a theme, it’s a lifestyle.

In 2009 we wanted to ride the TAT west. Our goals were:

1) ride as much of the trail as possible without taking any of the big bike bypasses
2) navigate using just the roll charts and maps. Our crap GPS was only capable of finding major highways and showing compass headings
3) ride hard. Ride like a single rider on a smaller bike, even though we were 2up on an overloaded schoolbus

It worked out pretty well. We didn’t take any bypasses and we made it from Trinidad to Port Orford in 12 days (including a rest day).

Of course, we did have some issues:

The bike was totaled by the insurance company, Matt was exhausted, and it was 4.5 months before I could sleep on my left side, but it was all worth it.

This time, our goals were:
1) don’t wreck the bike
2) don’t wreck the bike
3) don't get hurt

My mom said, “Umm. Maybe you should make ‘don’t get hurt’ your first priority. You can get another bike. You can’t get another you.”

Interesting idea. Okay - revised goals:
1) don't get hurt
2) don't wreck the bike
3) have fun

Originally, we were just going to do the OBCDR and maybe our favorite TAT sections (Colorado and Utah).
Then, after reading larryboy’s ride report , we saw how he used the CDT to connect the two trails. Brilliant!
With larryboy’s help, we were able to map out a fantastic route - thanks LB!
Of course, once we started looking at maps and ride reports, the route just kept growing and growing...

EDIT november 2010
This thing got pretty unwieldy, so I thought I should add a basic index:

Pacific Crest Quest: starts further down on this page, and there's an update (PCQ days 6,7 and 8 without snow) here.
Oregon Back Country Discovery Route: starts here.
Continental Divide Trail: starts here.
Trans America Trail: starts here.

Lava Mountain/Fleecer Ridge: here
Black Bear Pass: bottom of the page, here
White Rim Trail: here

And for those of you who have questions about the GPS tracks we used for this ride, the info is here.

LittleWan screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 03:43 PM Reason: Adding stuff to the index...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote