What’s this thread about:
I’ll use this thread to document my rehab of Gus. Padmei’s doing it, why can’t I? And hopefully we’ll get a community of GS / airhead owners here.
This is what Gus looked like when I bought him in Jul 10.
And the second picture shows what he looked Jul '13.
Gus is a bastard in a number of senses. Old vehicles need names. Cursing a thing
just doesn’t seem right. It’s always a bitch or bastard. And Gus is positively geriatric.
Why I bought Gus:
I’m a long time airhead fan, having owned a ‘78 R100RS,
(there's a separate thread on that now), ‘83 R80ST, ‘86 R65, & an ‘88 R100RS
. In the ‘90’s my wife & travelled Europe on the ’78 RS. We spent about 3 yrs alternatively working in London, then travelling the summer months. The trip back home was supposed to be an extended tour through Africa. I actually purchased the ST for that trip, bought a Acerbis 43L plastic tank for it, but alas it was not to be. I wrecked the RS
when a van did a u-turn on me, and then the couple we were to go with had a head-on with a minicab. The consolation prize was a trip to the South of France, & then home. Both the RS & the ST were imported back to NZ, but in a moment of madness I sold the ST to allow the purchase of a lounge suite. Which is now almost dead…
I’ve had a couple of goes at getting a GS since, but this hasn’t really worked out. The last white RS was supposed to be one, & the KTM 640a was close (in a sort of ‘Paris Dakar’ way). The KTM was a brilliant bike, but my experience was KTM parts support was lacking. Whilst I am sure the whole package would do big miles, portions of the bike seemed to be higher maintenance then I am used to (Hi ClintNZ & Warewolf!!).
One thing I missed with the KTM was the ability to load either Katherine or Mandy on the back & to go out for a day trip. The KTM was really a one person bike.
Airhead GSs have been on my Trademe favourites list a long time now. I’ve seen a few cheaper GS’s come up (Newguy, Barrie & Padmei). Padmei, you don’t know how lucky you are to have your bike. My finger hovered over the buy now for quite a while the night before you bought it…I have finally decided that I needed to build the bike I had lusted after for 20 yrs.
So where is this heading?
I have agreed with Mandy that I can spend the proceeds of the KTM sale on Gus. Given where the NZD has been against the Euro, GBP & USD I decided to buy some of the larger items now rather than wait. So I have ordered a bunch of parts from Motobins to allow repair of Gus & the RS, Touratech pannier racks & a 43l Tank (I like big tanks & I cannot lie...), to change the handlbars & risers, & have ordered an Ohlins shock from Robert Taylor at CKTechnical. Robert's price has been comparable to import (before freight & GST!), but I get the shock build to my specs.
The wishlist is somewhat more advanced....
To make this thread a bit more manageable I have started & will expand on an index - green text are links. For much of the maintenance & modification I haven't always included links, largely because this happened over a number of posts or pages & may be predominantly text.
Index of Maintenance
- Replacing the carb throttle pivot o'rings
- Replacing front wheel bearings
- Replace a spoke
in the rear cross lace wheel
- Fork oil replacement
- Discussion of Emulators in standard GS forks
- Replacing a head gasket & replacing the camchain
- Re-ringing Gus, & putting in 9.5:1 Pistons. Part one
/ Part two
- Replacing the rear Main Seal, & Oil Pump o'ring
- Breaking into the gearbox Part 1
, Part 2
, Part 3
, Part 4
, Part 5
, Part 6
- Replacing the battery
- Servicing an HPN oil cooler thermostat
Index of Modifications:
- List of modifications
/ upgrades to date
- Fitting the HPN Tank
- Nissin 4 Pot Brake Conversion
- Fitting Pivot Pegs
- 48mm KYB fork conversion
- Discussion on replacement sidestands
- Discussion of Emmulators in standard GS forks
- Wiring in resistors to remedy hyperflashing indicators
- Fitting a Baja Designs 8" headlight unit & a Trailtech Vapor Speedo Unit
rocker cover protectors (replace crashbars)
- Modifying the rear brake pedal
to improve leverage, & therefore braking capacity
- Changing to the exhaust back from a two into two, into a two into one - using a SV1000 left hand muffler
- Carb float bowl breather mod
to give a higher wading depth.
- Replacement LED Tail Light
- Getting a replacement Rego Plate
- Building a front wheel (new Excel Takasago Rim & spokes)
& servicing the forks
Index of day trip ride reports:
- Odlins Rd diversion
. Akatarewas, Nth Island
- Sutherlands Hutt (Aorangi Forest Park)
, May '11, associated video clips
- South Wairarapa, North Island
- Takapari Rd
(Nth of Palmerston North) Jul '11 - Ruahine Ranges, North Manawatu, North Island
- Ocean Beach Ride
Aug '11, & ICU breakdown. South Wairarapa, North Island
- Ocean Beach in the Rain
- Wairapara Sept '11
- The Ride Of The Steves - Sutherlands Hutt & Ocean Beach
, Wairarapa Nov '11
- Ocean Beach
2 up with Mandy Boxing Day '11
- Ocean Beach
with Shewolf NZ, 2nd Jan '12
- Ride into the Mangatooks
, Kapiti Coast, 4th Jan '12.
- Dusty Butt Pre Ride
- Glendhu & Flat Point, Wairarapa, 15th Jan '12
- Two Fatties & A Skinny Take On Odlins Rd (Waiotauru Rd - an ex logging road / track)
- Akatarewas, 4th Feb '12
- Ocean Beach with EddieB
- South Wairarapa April '12
(Makairo, Aikitio, Dannevirke) Wairarapa, 30th Sept '12
- Odlins Rd
, Akatarewas, Upper Hutt, North Island. 25th Nov '12. Fell off, broke some ribs, punctured a lung...
- Ocean Beach
26th May '13. Back in the saddle again...
- Ocean Beach & Onoke Spit
6th June '13 with Manakau_KTM (Wayne)
- Hinakura Rd, Riversdale Beach, Castlepoint Beach & Pack Spur Rd (paper road)
, Wairarapa 30th June '13
- Castlehill Rd / Puketoi Rd (non maintained road) / Daggs Rd - Bideford
. Wairarapa 21st July '13
- White Rocks & Tora
, South Wairarapa, 1st Sept '13
- Sutherlands Hut & Onoke Spit
20th Oct 13
- Takapari & North Range Road
(North Manawatu, North Island) 16th Nov '13 . It must be November, I've broken some ribs again.
- Glendhu & Admirals Rds
, Wairarapa. Dec '13.
- Rimutaka Pylon Track & Ocean Beach
22 Dec '13
- Visiting (but not riding) Pukemanu Adventure Ride
, Martinborough, South Wairarapa, 23rd Feb '14
- Sutherlands Hut Track
, Aorangi Forest Park, South Wairarapa. 26th April '14
- Martinborough / Riversdale Beach / Puketoi Rd
, South Wairarapa. Sun 4th May
- Takapari Rd
, Ruahine Forest Park, Pohangina Valley, 1st June '14
- Puketoi Road & checking the Makara Track
, North Waiararapa 27th July 2014.
Index of multi day ride reports
- Cold Kiwi
Sep '10 - Central Plateau, Nth Island
- 42nd Traverse, Old Whanga Rd, & Kiwi Rd
Nov '10 - King Country, North Island
- Clarence River Reserve Feb '11 here
, & here
. Kaikoura East Coast Sth Island, & Reefton, Sth Island
- Easter Trip Away
Apr '11, North Island - Taumaranui, Whangamomona, Taupo, Lake Waikaremoana, Gisborne & back to Wgtn
- Cold Kiwi, Old Whanga Rd, & the 42 Traverse
Sept '11 & here
. Video of the 42nd rockwall here
. Central Plateau & King Country, Nth Isld.
- WAR. Waiouru Adventure Ride, Waiouru Miltary Training Grounds, Dec '11. Day one
, day two
, & day three
- RRRR 2012 (Round Ruahine Range Reversed (Part One)
& Part Two
- 24th & 25th Mar '12
- East Cape Airhead Ride
, East Cape North Island, 20th - 23rd April '12. Days Three & Four here
- MMMM 2012
, July 2012, East Cape North Island
- Aborted Cold Kiwi attempt
- Cape to Cape ride
. Cape Egmont to East Cape, 25th - 28th Oct 13
- Top Of The South Ride - 29th Jan to 2nd Feb. Rainbow Station & Molesworth
, including the Lake Sedgemere to Severn Track. Edwards Pass
. Braeburn Track, Porika Track & the Maruia Saddle
. Clarence River Reserve
. The Molesworth
- The MMMM 2014. 15th & 16th Aug. The Ride Up & Day One
, Day Two, & the Ride Home
- Cold Kiwi 2014. 5th-7th Sept, Horopito, Central Plateau, North Island. Ride Up
, Cold Kiwi Rally & the 42nd Traverse
, The Ride Home
- What really dumb things have you done in the garage
- Airhead Philosophy
- Link to the CC Products performance upgrade article
(twin plugging, compression increase & rejetting an Amercian GS)