View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,681
Ignas recommended two options for things to see in Lithuania, a Soviet era park built by a Lithuanian millionaire and the Curonian Spit near Klaipeda. One would have meant doubling back to the Belarus border so I did the Curonian Spit, all the way to the Russian border.

You need to take a short ferry ride.

Then it's 50 kms of pretty straight road through pine forest.

But you can stop and within a few metres find the Baltic Sea and views down to Kalliningrad.

The area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and they look after it pretty well.

The forecast heavy showers hadn't materialised but of course, as soon as I took off my rain gear, a thunderstorm erupted leaving me drenched on the return ferry crossing. I've booked into a hotel in Klaipeda to dry off. Typical port town with strip joints everywhere; there's even one in the hotel! Think I'll give it a miss. Off to Riga tomorrow and hopefully get up towards Tallinn ready for the ferry crossing to Stockholm on Tuesday evening.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote