View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,483
ADV'ers DashAK, KLRDave, ThatGuy, and I head into the valley in the last 2 photos with akv leading the way as he's been here before.

A few shots of ThatGuy.

It got a little narrower, steeper, and rougher.

Yep, steeper and rougher.

On occasion where the road did widen out a bit was a very hard packed slick mud with puddles going across the entire road. I was doing fine with my Michelin Anakee on the back until I tried crossing the largest puddle staying in the middle on the highest ground. The middle was slightly crowned and my rear slipped out to the side and down I went. It was deep and slippery enough that as I tried to stand up I slipped and fell submerging even more of my body! Of course no one was around to witness, photograph, or help me get out of there. I finally managed to get the bike up and thankfully she started back up without any difficulties. As I was sitting there I motioned everyone to take a road that went around the puddle. My first mud bath. Luckily it wasn't too chilly as I had to ride pretty damp the rest of the day. akv and I continued to climb the farthest up the trail and navigating thru the steep rocky trail was keeping me pretty warm. The skies also continued to clear and that helped warm me up too. Little did I know that shortly before arriving home I'd be getting re-soaked in a torrential downpour.

akv and I went a ways farther up before finally just decided to pull over and take a couple more photos before heading back down. Here's yours truely with the trusty KLR near the head of the valley.

When we got to the others we helped each other turn the bikes around to head back down.

We were all very impressed with DashAK getting a VStrom up these roads.

The five of us decided to stop and eat at the old Willow Trading Post and soak up a bit more sun.

Yep, that glorious warm sunshine. Little did we know that heading back into Wasilla then again in Anchorage we'd have to ride thru weather severe enough to make the news that night! The deluge of rainfall also included a fair amount of thunder, lightning, and hard hitting hail in Wasilla. And then another cloud burst happened just as I was arriving home in Anchorage! It turned some of the streets in my neighborhood into rivers of flowing water! Crazy good times of a day tripping motorcycle adventure with friends.

Parting shot looking back towards the Wasilla area we'd just come from. Another wonderful ride! Till next time, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 12:27 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote