View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,148
Dropping the gearbox

Got a bit of garage time in tonight. Looking to drop the gearbox, so I can change the neutral switch, retreive a nut that has fallen into the flywheel area, and do a check & service on the back end of the bike

Dropped out the final drive bolts. Loctited in. Smelly gearbox oil in the driveshaft boot. The boot itself is perished & has a hole in the bottom. It'l be replaced.

Removed the shock as a prelim to removing the swingarm. Manufacture date is '93, so newer than the bike.

The driveshaft bearings look good & feel smooth - no apparent issues.

The swingarm bearings are a little dry, & one seal was loose.

It's been a pain getting the stainless collector box off. This needs to come off to give access to the gearbox. The collector box was homemade by Rob, and has taken a few fairly big wacks. It sits right up againt the engine sump, & covers the gearbox drain plug, so I'm fairly sure that the gearbox oil hadn't been changed in a while. The box removal required BIG leverage & heat to remove it....Its also bloody heavy. But I've no basis for comparison to the OEM.

Dropped the gearbox oil. NOT what I expected at all. It had WATER out first, then a reddish thin oil or ATF? Not the 80/90 weight I expected. Very glad I haven't done any miles on this yet. I am hoping that the bearings are okay. I'll do the run the Cold Kiwi then change again. I need to swap the drain plug over with the RS, which has a magnetic one. Not sure what the current plug is - not standard BMW anyway.

Left the gearbox to drain, and will drop the gearbox out when I next get time.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 11:53 PM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote