View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrider
I installed an oil temp and a water temp guage on my 620, oil hit about 255-260F the other day on a 13 mile tight woods trail, 1st gear stuff all the way. Overheat light was on as well but I think it comes on too low. Water temp guage read about 220-240.

Doesn't seem to hot for oil, especially the mobil1 I'm using, so I dunno if an oil cooler would be helpful, I doub't I'll do so much tight woods regularly.

A water pump that moves water better and extra fan and switch would do more good. I have a fan on the left rad with a manual switch and had it running the whole time.

My overheat light comes on at about 212F according to the temp guage, a little low I think. My water temp sender is in the little hose that loops around direct from thermostat housing to water pump, I may move it to the head and replace the overheat switch with it.

I'd be satisfied if I could get this thing set up well enough to just idle forever without overheating, but it doesn't look like it's possible with just a fan on one side and a pump that doesn't move a lot of water at low rpms.
Joe Racer claims 30 degree oil temp reduction on the RFS; should do something on the LC4 as well

More:

"The oil temperature is 30 degrees cooler then when its remains in the sump. This keeps the gearbox, especially the 5th and 6th gears (which are thinner by 20% then 1st-4th gears) at an acceptable temperature, I have seen on my KTM, oil in the 275-300 deg. F. Most motor oils start to burn at the 260. Deg F range."

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote