View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
txrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Joe Racer claims 30 degree oil temp reduction on the RFS; should do something on the LC4 as well

More:

"The oil temperature is 30 degrees cooler then when its remains in the sump. This keeps the gearbox, especially the 5th and 6th gears (which are thinner by 20% then 1st-4th gears) at an acceptable temperature, I have seen on my KTM, oil in the 275-300 deg. F. Most motor oils start to burn at the 260. Deg F range."
That's why I use a good synthetic, more resistance to burning off below 3-400 degrees.

Additionally, if the water temp in the water jacket was kept cooler it would also keep the oil cooler.

Last but not least if I was going to get an oil cooler I'd go with a known brand like Jagg or someone. Motorcycle oil coolers aren't anything new.

As for overcooling oil, that would be the last thing I would worry about, even in sub freezing temps, a water cooled bike with a thermostat will make sure it's warm enough. Worst case a manual valved bypass is simple enough.

http://www.jagg.com/suzuki.htm

I still think the problem that I can't get around is low water pump volume at idle and low RPM's. The water pump just doesn't appear to move a lot of water, maybe a better designed water pump impeller?

The cooling system is my only gripe about LC4's, but really I guess most water cooled dirt bikes have the same issues.

I think a manual switched dual fan, and maybe a small 12 volt water pump would do more for keeping an LC4 cool in stopped traffic and tight trails. But at low RPM's at least my bike would put out the juice to run em.

txrider screwed with this post 04-06-2005 at 01:28 PM
txrider is offline   Reply With Quote