View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,760
School started this week for real. The weekend forecast was looking good, so Lucky and someone who doesn't have a screen name and I headed out Friday after work for some commando camping and dual sporting.

We got things going with a little bit of Old 105. As many times as I've done that road, I think that this was the first time I'd ever expressed it end to end. Great fun!

A few weeks ago, I found a different place to cross from NC into Tennessee, and I have been wanting to work it into a ride for a while. On the way out there we ran into this:

We were a few minutes behind the 7:30 time, so we got served what was left.

The food and fellowship at the Bethel Baptist Church are both prodigious. The dual sporting aint too bad either. We wended our way up Mountaindale and over Locust Gap into the Volunteer State. The plan was to cross Doe Mountain on Fire Tower Road. It doesn't appear to exist as a public right of way any more. What's the opposite of eminent domain, and when did it become so prevalent?

Anyway, back to the trip. We were forced to go to 421, but we steered clear of Mountain City. We crossed Iron Mountain on Spear Branch/Cross Mountain and rode the crazy, cliffside curves down TN 91 in the dark. Adding to the technical difficulty were the random red eyes and flapping wings in the headlight beam. You couldn't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a whippoorwill. I think they're getting ready to head south.

We camped at the Holston Mountain Freewill Missionary Mosque.

We toured the minaret.

Speaking of red eyes, the pollen was really taking its toll.

Morning in America

The main dome of the mosque.

We got right to work.

We had to attend to a sticky throttle actuation issue. Not a good place to have a sticky throttle.

I think I heard Lucky muttering something about coffee.

Set the controls for biscuits and coffee.

We had to do some running around to find Big Creek.

Denton Hyatt Harr