Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,660
Parts list

Here is what you need to buy, and where I got my stuff:

Nissin 4-piston caliper conversion for R100GS

DISCLAIMER:

I am not a mechanic, engineer, or expert in any way in any issue related to brake conversions. I do not know if this conversion is safe, or even a good idea. Proceed at your own risk! This may be a really bad idea! Just because I did it doesn't mean you should even consider it!

Parts list

**EDIT added 03/17/2008***

ADV Member HPMGuy is producing the adapter that is mentioned below. Please send him a PM or email if you are interested in one... the plans are below for any "do-it-yourselfers".... Guy's work is first rate **end edit***

Caliper: Nissin 4-piston fitted to Suzuki GSXR's 92-93 600cc, 88-93 750cc and 89-92 1000cc. As these are mounted behind the fork leg on the GSXR's, and in front of the legs on the BMW be sure to buy the left front caliper as you will be turning it around to mount on your BMW. Got mine off eBay for $5, expect to pay up to $25

Stainless brake line: The stock BMW line to the steel hard line won't work. I bought a 50"? ss line off of eBay for $25. I think one as short as 45"? may be fine. This length allows for the line to be run through the fender like the stock line and routed right up to the stock master cylinder.

Brake Pads: I bought a set of EBC FA145's, and believe the other options are:

SBS624, Vesrah VD 343, DP DP213 and Ferrado FDB557.

Check to make sure. I got two sets of EBC's off ebay for $25.

Hardware:

Upper bolt to attach the caliper to the fork leg I used the stock BMW caliper bolt and tapped the aluminum chunk for it. M10 x 1.5 (30mm)

Upper bolt to hold the alum adapter to the upper caliper mountNo stainless Allen-heads available in this size says my source. The only choices were black Allen-heads that seem to rust if shown a picture of water and what you see in the picture. M10 x 1.25 (40 mm)

Lower bolt to hold the lower caliper mount to the fork leg­ - No stainless Allen-heads available in this size says my source. The only choices were black Allen-heads that seem to rust if shown a picture of water and what I bough see picture. M10 x 1.25 (25mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 03-17-2008 at 02:14 PM
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote