View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #90
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
We had a great ride. Up Bircham Flat Road from Walker to Lobdell Lake. Then around the west side of the Lake until we picked up the road to Mt. Patterson. I got to cautious on a couple of the switch backs and stalled my KLR. Other than that we made it to the top. Found the flag to be in tatters and someone has made off with the ammo box containing the summit log. We went on down the other side, stopping in at Belfort. Took the highway to the Elbow. Saw a group of Marines on a training exercise before turning off to Masonic. From Masonic went up to Masonic Peak, but not quite as we turned off to follow the road through McMillian Spring (true two track separated by Sage brush and overgrown with willows on both sides) on down to the Bridgeport Reservoir. Had a very late lunch at Rhinos before calling it a day as Skag still had a four hour ride home and I think Pointman still had to head south for another week of work. All in all a very intense 60 mile ride over some gnarly roads. Climbing up from Walker was a climb of over 6000' in about 25 miles of dirt road and 3600' of that was from where we turned off Bircham Flat and climbed the last 10 miles. And then it was back down that 6000' to reach the Elbow. Not bad, 12,000' of elevation change in about 40 miles. And Pointman did it all on his big KTM.

I did miss the forecast. Problem is the eastern Sierra front is this mix of microclimates, every few miles you get a new climate. While north of Walker and south of the Sonora Junction staid nice all day, in between those two points got some significant rain. Fortunately it didn't rain on us on the ride up to Mt. Patterson.

Steve, my Olympus photo software doesn't want to open. I need to call Olympus support tomorrow. As soon as I get the problem solved I'll be able to upload the pictures from my camera.

kdxkawboy screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 09:39 PM
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote