View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Soooo... the foam came in today.......Actually yesterday....but no time until today. I started to make the front part of the shield...... Methodically cutting a 5 deg. angle every 2 inches.....to match the mounts.......

Then I though...... It`s Friday.......labor day weekend..... I think that means.....Less labor day.....Well....to me it is........So I thought....I`m gonna cheat a little. Rather than pegllefadut with this all day...... I chose to merely copy the mounting pattern from one of the other shields I had laying around.... Yes.... I have 3...in the quest for the holy grail. Remember..... In direct opposition to the D3....( No offense meant here).... They are using plastic....and therefore have to utilize a frame...in this case from mild steel.... Whereas this one is from CF.....where no frame is needed. The CF itself is the exoskeleton. So in short....two layers extra for the mount and we are good to go.......Other shield prepped...for cast with wax....and release agent......

Then 2 layers of the workhorse...5.7 oz 2x2 twill.......polymerproducts....max-clr/hp epoxy. Now drying....while I get to the top piece.....

Note the curvature........Again.... this is a very rough cut.....and most likely will be trimmed. Another thing here...... I`m not sure if I will like it..... As with any builds from the bottom up...... Unless you are a designer, and have access to cad`s.......etc.... It is really hard for me to visualize the shape until I build it. Plus....all people don`t share the same taste.....Wheras I think it looks cool....others might laugh....or better yet....dump the coffee in your keyboard. Angles are still a variable.... and until I mate the two halves..... Well....shall we just say.....This is the fun part......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote