View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #66
lakota OP
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,885
Day 9 Shallow Bay to Port aux Basques

Earl is coming, Earl is coming!

We are up and out the door at 0630 heading to Port aux Basques. The plan is not to dawdle and get to the hotel before the wind and rain begin in earnest. We are concerned somewhat as to how the ferry schedule will be impacted.
One of the best sunrises of the ride

Along Rte 340 south

What’s in your rear view mirror?

Clouding up thanks to Earl

The road after Corner Brook looks like most any road you have ridden - sometimes 2 lanes, sometimes 3, sometimes 4. Pretty but nothing that made me want to stop and take a picture.

This sign was different - it is not related to Earl. And it was true. Very high winds made riding difficult, as tough as anything on the ride. Then we saw cars with wipers on so we stopped and put on rain gear. The wind died and the air was damp. I was told that road gets closed sometimes due to wind.

The road is in great shape - only two construction zones in 240 miles. One interesting thing about eastern Quebec, Labrador, and Newfoundland the speed limit must be advisory and are posted only to keep the sign painters employed. In one section today we were in a line behind a LEO. The speed limit was 80kph and all of us were going 125kph. If you drive the limit you are a hazard.

Wildlife report

Quebec - one porcupine who tried to take out two Harley riders we were following

Labrador - 3 wolves between Churchill Falls and Happy Valley. One about 50 yds from a construction worker and two sleeping on the road till we woke them up. Talking to a local later he surmised that they were being fed by the work crews. Probably not a good thing for the future.

Newfoundland - three moose too quick for me to get a picture.

Ferry update. The first potential ferry is at 0200 Sunday depending on the weather. We will go there about 0100 and see if we can get on. If not we are probably stuck here till 1600 Sunday at the earliest.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote