View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #71
lakota OP
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,973
Day 10 Port aux Basques to somewhere west of Port Sydney

Earl came and went. There was more wind than you can imagine and about 3 hours of heavy rain. Since we were hunkered down for the duration we got the executive suite at the Hotel Port aux Basques in order to have more room and not trip over each other. We kept following the ferry schedule updates on-line and revising our plans accordingly. The last schedule we saw had a ferry leaving at 0600 with no passenger info and another leaving at 0800 with loading passengers at 0600. Therefore we decided to get to the ferry at 0400 and see about the 0600 boat. Turns out that one was for commercial vehicles only but the good news was they loaded us immediately onto the 0800 one. When we got on board we asked about and got a cabin and went back to bed. The boat left on time and crossed in 4 ˝ hours. Some folks got sick- Jack said the boat was moving around but I felt nothing - professional training. Was too lazy to take the camera to the room so there are no pictures of the crossing.

We were lucky as the boat that was to leave from North Sydney broke down so the next boat leaving Port aux Basques wouldn’t be till about 2000 tonight.

On the auto deck waiting to leave.

After we disembarked we headed over to Louisbourg to see the fort there that was built in the 18th century. It was closed, presumably because of the hurricane.
The sign

We tried to find an alternate way in but this was a close as we could get

We are now in a hotel somewhere west of North Sydney. They got the power restored at 1130 this morning.

Tomorrow the Cabot Trail.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote